A couple weekends ago I had the misfortune of a head cold, so being unable to focus on school I decided to sew something, only I had no idea what. Rummaging through my multiple fabric tubs I came across this lovely light blue knit/chiffon type fabric that I hadn’t used yet in fear of cutting into it and completely messing up and not being able to use the fabric.
Now I had my fabric but what to make with it? Well the obvious answer to that is something Disney. Cinderella’s blue ballgown to be exact.
I sewed the entire dress from scratch in one and a half days, working almost non-stop.
The first thing I did was create a pattern for the bodice
After draping some scrap fabrics over my dress form I cut out my pieces out of paper and added seam allowance.
A cut out a mockup bodice from more scrap fabric to test out the fit and to make any needed adjustments to the pattern.
The bodice fit like a glove and I moved on to putting together the lining pieces.
I used plaid flannel because A. it is incredibly soft, and B. funky linings make any garment 10x better.
After sewing the lining together I created boning channels with twill ribbon sewed onto each seam in the lining.
Before sewing the ribbon on I pressed each seam either open or to one side to reduce bulk. For boning I didn’t want to wait and order proper boning so I used two heavy duty zip ties in each channel, they work surprisingly well.
Next the bodice was again cut out, this time in the blue fashion fabric.
I sewed together all the pieces and was left with a plaid bodice with boning and a blue one without.
To sew them together I simply attached them right sides together and sewed all the way around, leaving the bottom open to insert the boning.
(I did go back through and press all the seams open)
My next post will be all about making the skirt along with the waist and sleeve poofs!